dSLR

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Johnny Evil 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Johnny Evil
    Participant

So has anyone tried making a film using an SLR camera? Most people seem to be using webcams, a few video cams. Magic Portal was done on 16mm… but what about SLRs? I would imagine that using an SLR would allow for a much higher quality image per frame, even on the most basic quality setting.

Of course, it would be harder to sync to the computer, as there is no live image feed – the light information passes through the lens and is redircted to the viewfinder, and only taken images are displayed on the LCD.

~Johnny Evil

Anonymous

See a nice discussion about DSLR use at:

http://www.stopmotionanimation.com/dc/d … 1255&page=

have fun!

Anonymous

Digital Dave has done his films on a Sony dSLR, I believe.

Imo, unless you want hd resolution or something, a digital camera is not worth it. A QCP 4000 can give you the same quality, and does not have the exposure problem mentioned in earlier threads (and I believe in the stopmotionanimation.com thread).

Cometgreen

Johnny Evil
    Participant

Heh, the D70 is the camera I just got. This thread is amazing btw. Thanks.

Johnny Evil
    Participant

Well, I already have the D70. Didn’t get it for Stopmotion, got it for photography. And it seems that the exposure problem was nipped in the bud by putting the camera in full manual mode (sharpness and contrast too), much like you would do with a video or web cam anyway.

~Johnny Evil

Ladon
    Participant

For a minute there, I thought you meant an SLR, not a dSLR. You might want to be specific 😉 [edit]… I ws suddenly thinking about 1 second per roll of film. That wouldn’t be very nice.

Mirko
    Participant

“Cometgreen” wrote: Imo, unless you want hd resolution or something, a digital camera is not worth it. A QCP 4000 can give you the same quality,

I might be an image quality junkie, but I have to disagree with that. When looking at the films here, those that were done with a digital camera (not necessarily with a dSLR) or a DV camcorder clearly have a better image quality. Whether the difference is worth the effort, however, is a different question. Good image quality alone does not make a good movie.

For my liking, the just-below-PAL resolution of webcams is bit too low. I like the flexibility a higher resolution provides (e.g. when zooming in post production). A 1.3MP webcam-like cam would be nice.

and does not have the exposure problem mentioned in earlier threads (and I believe in the stopmotionanimation.com thread).

The exposure problem was caused by the aperture not closing exactly enough. A dSLR would (hopefully, I have never used one) allow to leave the aperture at its supposed setting.

Mirko

Johnny Evil
    Participant

I read the entire stop motion animation thread. Those who said it was the aperture at first seemed to have been proven wrong. The D70 has some settings that are still automatic in manual mode, unless you go into the camera’s menu and turn them off. The original posts were made by people, who like anyone with a new toy, started playing before reading every last page of the instructions (which I did with my cam too). Once I get a suitable tripod for my D70, I will try making a short using it for the frame capture (suitable as in one that goes low enough to my work space).

~Johnny Evil

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.