Free?

Home Forums Community Featured Articles Free?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  RazorOptics 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author

samthelegoman1
    Participant

I wanted to know: is Wi-Fi free?

Rsteenoven
    Participant

Free Wi-fi ?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&sa … ee&spell=1

samthelegoman1
    Participant

Helpful, but i need more info…

Anonymous

I shouldn’t think it’s free. I mean, is anything free?

samthelegoman1
    Participant

Stuff at Costco.

Lechnology
    Participant

Why are you asking?

Someone has to pay monthly rates to have broadband connection. So no, it is not free. Public libraries provide wi-fi services for free because tax money are paying for those wireless connection, tax money coming from households like yours.

Tapping into neighbor’s Wi-fi is not free, it’s stealing and putting yourself at risk of identity theft.

Anonymous

Depends on the definition of Wi-fi that you are using:

If you have an internet connection and add a wireless router then you don’t have to pay any extra to use the wireless feature. Any computer in your house (and anyone else in range) can use that wireless connection at no additional charge after the purchase price and paying for the connection to the ISP.

As Lech said – if your computer / laptop can see your neighbours’ wi-fi and you tap into that (without permission) then you are stealing. If you don’t have your own internet connection and you go over to them and ask permission and they say yes then you might be able to arrange a deal with them.

In some cities they provide free wireless connectivity in the central business districts. Some cafe’s and libraries also provide free connectivity. Usually when you see it on your computer, it will be specifically stated if it’s free. Or when you try and connect you will get a homepage with “this service provided to you by (someone)”.

Also under the “wireless” label is roaming internet, where you add a little device to your laptop which uses the mobile phone system to connect to the internet. If you have one of these systems then they are definitely a paid service.

Basically, if you see a network that is not encrypted and you use it without specific permission to do so, then it is stealing and wrong. However, there are plenty of people who set up their networks unsecured.

samthelegoman1
    Participant

Can I use this stuff with an iphone or ipod touch if I have a router at home?

Spitfire Studios
    Participant

If the router is wireless, you should be able to.

Anonymous

I have no idea how the iPhone makes its connections, but since it’s a mobile phone I would imagine that it would use the phone network to access the internet. You’d need to ask someone who has one or a salesman or something to find out if you can use a wireless connection (specify that you want to connect to the internet via an external router).

The iPod might have more chance of having a wireless connection built in, in which case yes, you could use your home wireless connection.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.