Walking Cycle

Home Forums Fim Making Forums Production Walking Cycle

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  vivorproductions 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Onecras Films
    Participant

Hello! I’m curious to know what technique others use for their walking cycle.

I animate at 15 fps and I use a five step process.
    From the starting position (standing still):
    1. Lift the left/right leg up
    2. Balance step between studs
    3. Balance step between studs
    4. Place the left/right leg down
    5. Bring the other leg forward to end back at the starting position

This technique will bring the minifigure one Lego stud forward. If you would like to share your technique to help others please do!

Jason J. Phillips
    Participant

Your technique is probably better than mine, but here’s what I do:
    1. Lift left/right leg and move opposite arm forward
    2. Lower left/right leg and extend opposite arm farther.
    3.standing still.

I also have a question about your walk cycle. For steps 2 and 3, are they the same picture, just taken twice?

TheLegoSmith
    Participant

I think he moves them slightly because that would look really weird having smooth animation then just a 2 frame stop mid walk but who knows?

TheLegoSmith
    Participant

My walk cycle starting from a standstill (10 fps)
    1. Move left/right leg forward push down as far as possible(so it touches the side of stud)
    2.Balance between the studs
    3.left/right is now connected to forward stud but other leg is behind(how the leg is in step 1 but behind)
    4.both legs down.

I do some arm movement.

Onecras Films
    Participant

For steps 2 and 3 of my process I do move them slightly when they are in-between studs.

vivorproductions
    Participant

Your cycle is interesting, Onecras Films. I learned walking cycles through this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiryzIqLuJA
    If you watch that, you may notice your cycle is kind of a cross between the first and second method. The methods in that video were specifically designed for 15fps, and I hope your mix of them works well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.