Water

Home Forums Fim Making Forums Production Water

This topic contains 21 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Rocky_FS 12 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Snicket
    Participant

As a few months ago, I came and proposed an idea about a movie that would be almost entirely shot on water which would be hard. I do have a question:
    In some shots, I don’t want to use real water, instead possibly digital water. Could I do this by shooting the boat on greenscreen? And also, there is one scene where the boat goes into a dark boathouse. Should I use LED lighting on some of the shots for a creepy effect?

Anonymous

as a director, those as the kinds of decisions you should be making, not deligating to a random bunch of people on a forum.
    You would more properly use these forums to ask for options, not decisions.

Tim
    Participant

I suggest that you watch the film “Stranded”, that film features some very nice looking water effects, which can be simply achieved by using food saran wrap (I think) and blue table cloth. read the “stranded” thread discussion and felix how the process works.

Sprinkles
    Participant

also if you wanna go with the lego version of water i’d suggest watching Leftfield’s “Aladibababad” and “SWGD” they did an awesome job of animating lego’s to look like water.

MindGame
    Participant

The greenscreened water sounds kind of promising.

I would suggest trying out everything you can think of, and choose the one that looks best.

-MindGame

fll-freak
    Participant

My new motto: Whenever possible do not greenscreen.

If you have all the right tools and infinite patience, chromakey works. If you are missing either of those parts it looks cheap. You are much better with blue posterboard and seran wrap or just letting your audience use their imagination.

I have all the right tools and more than average patience, but if I can figure out anyway to shoot direct, I will.

My old motto: Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

Anonymous

The greenscreened water sounds kind of promising.

No it doesn’t. Especially if you want the ship to interact with the water, then it will be extra tough. It is certainly possible and could give awesome results, but you need to understand effects and compositing and have all the right tools.

Just go with a simple and practical method. It can take some time to get it right, but it should give good results.

Cometgreen

MindGame
    Participant

What I meant by

“I” wrote: The greenscreened water sounds kind of promising.

was that if you could pull it off, the result would look really good. I must have not said that up properly.

-MindGame

Snicket
    Participant

The boat will not be a lego boat but I will be using modeling clay. I figured out a way to keep the clay from detirioration. I thought about greenscreen, but it would be incredibly hard. In order for the boats motion to match the waves of the water, you would have to get on a boat and film the water going in certain directions. Some scenes will be hard to do and some will have to have a greenscreen (but not for water). I don’t really want to use sceran wrap, that is the last resort. Seran wrap would be hard on doing some scenes (like a slowly sinking boat). What do you guys think about LED lighting? I like the effect of it but I am not sure about how it would show up.

Stefan
    Participant

What do you guys think about LED lighting? I like the effect of it but I am not sure about how it would show up.

This is what I think.

If I had had an idea for an effect as clear as you have, I’d have kept my mouth shut, just done it, and blown everyone away upon the release of my film (that’s what I did making a minifig jump in Great Inventors 1 – an effect unheard of back then).

I think the only way you can find out how it’ll show up is to actually try it.

Stefan.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.