10 Brick Contest

This topic has 1 voice, contains 145 replies, and was last updated by Avatar of Redmurunga Redmurunga 3571 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 146 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
October 21, 2004 at 6:22 am #64135
LG

“gopedguy” wrote: Holy moly this is reallt hard. I cant think of a way to take up a max of 2 minute with just 10 bricks. wow this is gona be hard.
great contest

Exile

Here’s an idea you can try: 2 bricks fighting each other with swords!
Ninja Bricks! :wink

October 21, 2004 at 7:47 am #64138
stanley

“felix” wrote: [quote="brickbrock"]the rules about specialFX were intended to read something like: “what cant be seen, doesn’t count” everything else like duplicating elements, film in film and all that like will be treated like smoke or explosions or everything else.

What about mirrors?

Is a mirror considered a special effect or an object?

I guess the reflected bricks would count as extra bricks so a 5 brick creature should be fine. But would the mirror count as an extra object? The mirror is kind of part of the set maybe it could be considered as a background…?

The scene would be very bright and white, similar to hali’s doorway so there isn’t much more background or setting that could help to tell the story.[/quote]

damn felix, stop poking at the rules and just do what feels right. Now you’ve ruined my idea. 10 bricks in front of an mirror-background was totally within the acceptance of the rules, but no fun now anymore :cry:

oh well the more time i have to relax

October 21, 2004 at 8:17 am #64141
brickbrock

“kayman2000″ wrote: Hello,
I’m wondering if more than one base piece can be used, given that the camera changes angles, or for a film that may require a longer base, could i put two together, ect? Would that be legit?

me thinks yes, baseplate is baseplate if it is just to extend the area.

October 21, 2004 at 12:11 pm #64156
Felix

Stanley, sorry for that but it’s NOT as clear as you might think. If you put 10 bricks in front of a mirror that would be 20 visible bricks. The only question is: is a mirror a special effect?

I could have asked Stefan or brickbrock via pm but I thought this would be the right place to make that clear. I didn’t mean to ruin your idea, I had the same. I bet you wouldn’t be happy to be disqualified after you finished your entry, either.

October 21, 2004 at 12:50 pm #64158
Stefan

I think the right way to solve this is to count the mirror as an extra element, and the bricks only once. However, suppose you went out of your way and started masking things so that the mirrored image behaves differently from the normal one (an idea I’ve had on my idea stack ever since the Shootin Bricks/Mystic Studios Horror Contest), we’d have to count them double.

One motivation would be that bricks themselves can be quite reflective.

Stefan.

October 21, 2004 at 12:57 pm #64161
Felix

Awesome! I’m in :)

October 21, 2004 at 12:59 pm #64162
brickbrock

1. a mirror is an element (if it cant be decomposed (untinkered) into more elements)
2. the reflection of an element is not an element itself. (for reference see Platon)

Still the goal is not find a clever way to circumvent the most obvious interpretation of the RULES but to have some clever animation from a VERY limited supply of elements.

October 21, 2004 at 3:44 pm #64186
LowweeK

for reference see Platon

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Do we got bonus if we use only 9 bricks ? or 8 ? or 5 ? or 2 ? or my fingers ? :wink :P :lol:

October 21, 2004 at 3:51 pm #64188
stanley

“brickbrock” wrote: 1. a mirror is an element (if it cant be decomposed (untinkered) into more elements)
2. the reflection of an element is not an element itself. (for reference see Platon)

that’s what i thought and I didn’t read plato

“brickbrock” wrote: Still the goal is not find a clever way to circumvent the most obvious interpretation of the RULES but to have some clever animation from a VERY limited supply of elements.

from one sometimes comes the other… What’s clever animation anyway? It could be “creating a life like feel through animating a simple object” (see the logo of pixar, or more close to home 1XY of errol)
It could also be “creating an whoaah how did they do that through for instance a mirror or mirrors”

But like I said lets stop poking at the rules and start animating. I’m sure that the animations on the border of the rules will be judged fairly. Anyway rules are there to be broken.

October 21, 2004 at 4:19 pm #64195
Stefan

It could also be “creating an whoaah how did they do that through for instance a mirror or mirrors”

Like this?

Stumbled across it in an astronomy museum in Rome. It was the only interesting artefact in that museum. Took me a few seconds to figure out what was going on. Very impressive!

Stefan (and now back on topic!)

October 21, 2004 at 7:12 pm #64209
legofred

Still the goal is not find a clever way to circumvent the most obvious interpretation of the RULES but to have some clever animation from a VERY limited supply of elements.

Yes, but I still believe there is a walkaround, some kind of ultra top secret method, or a clever or unknown way that will let you use millions of objects in your entry – without beeing disqualified. I’ll never give up searching, and I’ll quit my job if necessary just to get enough time to figure out a solution within the deadline.

What if an object is invisible in the final movie because of horrible compression quality, but visible in a (optional) hi-res version? Let’s say a white brick in front of a very bright background. Would that brick be counted as an object?

Or even worse: What if the film was awarded, and that hi-res version of the film was published after the prizes were shipped. Would the director have to return the prize – and if so: WHO WOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR THE SHIPPING???

Well, I think I’ll just forget about that white brick and use a blue one instead!

October 21, 2004 at 7:32 pm #64213
LowweeK

What if an object is invisible in the final movie because of horrible compression quality, but visible in a (optional) hi-res version?

Better and better questions :lol: :lol: :P

I suggest to take 10 bricks, one background, one plate and start something before the deadline goes…
8)

October 22, 2004 at 1:44 am #64252
Nosniborus

Excellent idea, guys. Count me in.

Brilliant.

-Nos

October 22, 2004 at 7:02 am #64282
brad_checkett

Are you looking for a story or more of just an abstact where you have 10 bricks and they move around like in those computer animations videos

October 22, 2004 at 9:56 am #64304
02lyons

Are we the only people who understands this (apart from wandrer2 and all)? Its simple: 10 bricks, 1 baseplate, 1 background, no special effects. Just animate! Its not difficult.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 146 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.