24 hour Comp – Dates Poll

HomeForumsEvents and Projects ForumsContests and Film Festivals24 hour Comp – Dates Poll

This topic has 1 voice, contains 57 replies, and was last updated by Avatar of David West David West 3420 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
July 27, 2005 at 8:29 am #120593
Stefan

I kind of agree with Hali, though I don’t know what will be preferable: a high level of participation or the simultaneous race against the clock.

Also, I don’t seem to have received the e-mail yet. Sent it out about 30 minutes ago.

Stefan.

July 27, 2005 at 8:37 am #120595
Amped

I sent it and got it it only a few seconds after I emailed.

July 27, 2005 at 9:10 am #120599
David West

It says that it failed to respond to you, stefan. You’re the second person that thats happened to.

July 27, 2005 at 7:33 pm #120678
brickbrock

This is still in testing, right? because I recieved a message with no specifics in and would not be able to finish anything in the next 24h!

It would be great, if David could make a clear statement on the procedures…

brickbrock

July 27, 2005 at 10:34 pm #120729
Lechnology

I think one way to prevent cheating is to have maybe 3 different themes, each randomly assigned to with the autoresponder, if that’s possible.

That way, if someone decides to leak the theme to others who have not signed up for the competition yet, they would only have a one out of 3 chance of getting a head start.

Of course, if all three themes get leaked, then this is all for not.

Somehow, we have to trust that no one will do the dishonorable thing by leaking the theme.

July 27, 2005 at 10:37 pm #120730
Quigibo

I think one way to prevent cheating is to have maybe 3 different themes, each randomly assigned to with the autoresponder, if that’s possible.

That way, if someone decides to leak the theme to others who have not signed up for the competition yet, they would only have a one out of 3 chance of getting a head start.

That’s almost like what I suggested in the original thread. This just seems a little more confusing becase of the randomness.

July 27, 2005 at 10:51 pm #120734
Lechnology

That’s almost like what I suggested in the original thread. This just seems a little more confusing becase of the randomness.

Ah, so that’s how it popped into my head. :lol:

If this is one of those 3 day competition, each animator given only 24 hours within the 3 days, then any day is fine.

July 28, 2005 at 6:56 am #120798
Stefan

If this is one of those 3 day competition, each animator given only 24 hours within the 3 days, then any day is fine.

Maybe that is the solution that will give the feeling that people are racing against you while retaining some flexibility. Make the contest start the moment it turns Saturday somewhere in the world, and make it end the moment Sunday is over everywhere in the world. Someone wanting to enter has at most 24 hours or until the end of Sunday (whichever arrives first) to complete his film.

Stefan.

July 31, 2005 at 2:05 am #121303
Schlaeps

I don’t know if any of you get Videomaker Magazine but if you do then you might have noticed the 24 Hour Film Challenge article on page 54. It’s very similar to this and offers a safeguard to prevent anyone from know what they will get ahead of time. They suggest having serveral random random genres that are chosen 15 minutes prior to start time.

I would do something similar to that. For instance:

1. Chose 5 different genres for each day of the contest.
2. Have the auto-responder randomly select and send email containing the genre of the film to anyone emailing that account. Also, the auto-responder should be activated only 15 minutes or so prior to “go time”.

On a side note. I think it would be good to set a detailed list of what may or may not be done before the begining of the contest as well as what is expected in the film. Here is a good example of what the rules should look like.

I really hope that you can pull this contest off. It sounds like alot of fun.

July 31, 2005 at 2:32 am #121310
mrgraff

I like Stefan’s Saturday – Sunday idea. The one thing about this contest that initially intrigued me is knowing that if I compete, I’m working on a film while other people around the world are also working on the same thing at the same time.

Reminds me of the “A Day in the Life of … ” photograph series from the late 1980′s. 100 photographers would roam around a country and take pictures; all on the same day.

I’m of the opinion that a 24-hour contest, means that all entrants must work during the same 24 hours. I urge the organizers to come with a way to make that happen. There has to be a date that more than 20 of us can agree on.

July 31, 2005 at 3:42 am #121311
Blunty

“mrgraff” wrote: I like Stefan’s Saturday – Sunday idea. The one thing about this contest that initially intrigued me is knowing that if I compete, I’m working on a film while other people around the world are also working on the same thing at the same time.

Reminds me of the “A Day in the Life of … ” photograph series from the late 1980′s. 100 photographers would roam around a country and take pictures; all on the same day.

I’m of the opinion that a 24-hour contest, means that all entrants must work during the same 24 hours. I urge the organizers to come with a way to make that happen. There has to be a date that more than 20 of us can agree on.

Yeah, what he said.

July 31, 2005 at 4:15 am #121312
Xray555

Well 12 people for the 27th and 13 for any date, makes a possible 25 animators on the 27.

July 31, 2005 at 7:31 am #121329
David West

“Schlaeps” wrote: 1. Chose 5 different genres for each day of the contest.

No, I don’t want to be unfair to people by having several genres. Its more fair to have only 1 genre/theme. The mod element is a guarantee that any animation is done within the time limit. It may well be random to ensure it isn’t leaked.

On a side note. I think it would be good to set a detailed list of what may or may not be done before the begining of the contest as well as what is expected in the film. Here is a good example of what the rules should look like.

I have a very detailed set of rules, but the films don’t have to have as many specific elements as that site wants.

I like Stefan’s Saturday – Sunday idea. The one thing about this contest that initially intrigued me is knowing that if I compete, I’m working on a film while other people around the world are also working on the same thing at the same time.

Yes, that is a very cool thought. I’ve realized that my current plan doesn’t really have that same spirit, so right now I’m thinking about doing this differantly. Running the contest on a single day, but allowing anyone who absolutely cannot make it on that day to make their film before hand using my autresponder system.

July 31, 2005 at 4:16 pm #121365
Dave

I’m in, and I’m psyched. 13th, please.

-Dave

July 31, 2005 at 6:15 pm #121386
NanoMan

Ok, I’ll join it. Any day will work for me. :)

~nano

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.