Create A Story Around a Line
There are a lot of people that seem to want a contest, so I decided to take initiative and make one myself.
As stated above, the theme of CASAL is to "create a story around a line." What does this mean? Well, it means that you will be given a line, and then you must include that line in your script, and write the script around the line.
This contest greatly encourages creativity. Everybody will be given the same line, but you will have to be creative if you want to stand out from the rest. And don't worry, the line will be vague enough that it could be put into plenty of situations.
- Your film must be longer than 15 seconds, and shorter than 1 minute and 30 seconds.[/*]
- Your film must include the given line.[/*]
- Copywritten material is discouraged, but allowed. If it is included, it will not count against you in judging.[/*]
- If you would like your film to be silent, you may include the line on a sign, or subtitle. It still must affect the story in some way. [/*]
- REQUIRED FILE FORMATS: Either Youtube or Vimeo. You may upload your film elsewhere as well, but it is not necessary.[/*]
- In your credits, you must mention that the film was created for CASAL, and mention Brickfilms.com.[/*]
- This contest places creativeness over technical quality, and will be judged this way as well.[/*]
- Judging categories are: CREATIVENESS, HOW WELL YOU WORK THE LINE INTO YOUR FILM, FUN, and TECHNICAL QUALITIES.[/*]
- Your film can receive a total of 30 points.[/*]
- 10 of these points will be reserved for CREATIVENESS. Creativeness it how original and different your film is. [/*]
- 10 of these points will be reserved for FUN. This contest favors films that are fun to watch. This doesn't mean that it has to be humorous; if you submit a serious film, it can still earn a 10 if it is enjoyable watch.[/*]
- 5 points will go to how well you integrate the line into the film. A film that includes the line, but the line has no effect on the story or characters will earn a 0 into this category. A film that includes the line, and the whole film is effected by this line will earn a 5. It's hard to be specific about this. If you need help, just ask.[/*]
- 5 points will go to TECHNICAL QUALITIES. Note that your animation, lighting, cinematography, and sound don't need to be top-notch to earn a five. As long as they're good, you won't get a bad score. But if the technical qualities detract from the enjoyment of the film, you will receive a lower score.[/*]
SO, WHAT IS THE LINE?
Ah, here's what I'm sure you've been dying to know throughout this entire post (if you didn't just directly skip to the bottom, that is).
The line is:
Of course, it wasn't that hard to see.
As you can see, this line can be used in a wide variety of situations and film genres.
You may add words onto the beginning and end of the line, but not the middle. You may not remove words either. Removing words or changing the middle will result in a lower score.
Unfortunately I am unable to offer any prizes. If somebody else would like to donate a prize, I would be more than welcome to accept it.
Submissions MUST BE IN by JANUARY 6, 2010. This will give you more than enough time needed to complete an entry. Deadline extensions will be made if needed, however.
You can submit your film by sending it to me in a PM.
FILMS MAY NOT BE POSTED IN A PUBLIC PLACE BEFORE JANUARY 1ST, 2010.
If you would like to send your film to me before January 1st, you will have to make your video PRIVATE on Youtube when you upload it, send me a YOUTUBE friend request, and then I will watch it to make sure it is valid for this contest. You may un-private it after January 1st.
If someone would like to create a banner for this contest to put in signatures and place at the top of this thread, that would be appreciated.
Thank you for looking at this post. I hope you consider joining this contest. If you have any questions or comments, or would like to point out something I forgot to add, just reply to this thread.
Also, this contest will not interfere with LMP, and vice-versa, because I fully expect the script to be finished before I have to do anything with this contest again.