If you had a time machine…

HomeForumsBrickfilming ForumsGeneral BrickfilmingIf you had a time machine…

This topic has 1 voice, contains 51 replies, and was last updated by Avatar of Stefan Stefan 4108 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
April 20, 2003 at 8:50 am #1184
Avatar of Cometgreen
Cometgreen

It is debatable whether wormholes will solve this problem, but new theories of physics (most notably string theory) might provide workarounds by introducing a set of new dimensions, which are curled up…

Hmm, never heard of the string theory. I think I’m gonna have to look that up.

And thanks for introducing that gamma into e=mc^2; it now becomes all the more confusing. :(

Cometgreen, making the third page

April 20, 2003 at 9:36 am #1185
Avatar of timdrage
timdrage

“Drunken Farmer Ben” wrote: So, why not steal our lego collections from ourselves, and have twice the Legos! And when we steal them from ourselves in the future, we will have the set we stole from ourselves in the past.

Ah, but this will cause a feedback loop which will destroy the fabric of time + space, thus:
When you steal your own Lego, you will then later have twice the amount, granted. But then, when you come to the future to steal it you will steal that double amount, and then end up with 4 times the Lego… but then you’d have stolen that amount, + thus actually have EIGHT times the Lego! And so on until the entire universe is solidly filled with LEGO and all other matter is extinguished!

April 20, 2003 at 11:00 am #1187
Avatar of NewLegoCinema
NewLegoCinema

But…If your time machine didn’t have a time sheild,the whole world would warp into the furture with you.If you watch the end of The Time Machine(2001),The Uber-Morlock’s Arms are inside the time sheild while the rest of his body is outside.When Alexander pushes the lever forward,everything outdside of the time sheild moves forward in time.Because Alexander is going through thousands of years,the Uber-Morlock disindigrates,but his arms are still in the time sheild.
Also,in the same movie,Alexander’s little picture of Emma falls out of the time sheild.Alexander tries to grab it,but his fingernails grow.
In THAT SAME MOVIE( :lol: ),When Alexander tries to go back in time to save Emma,she gets run over by a cart.When Alexander sees the Uber-Morlock,he tells him that if Emma was alive,he would have no purpose to build the time machine.

April 20, 2003 at 11:21 am #1188
Avatar of Marty
Marty

Once you open this can of worms it’s amazing what comes out of the woodwork, fact! Time travel, in theory, is the only thing that has been proven, in 1960′s I think?
But there is another theory thats been doing the rounds for a while, it’s called timeslips, I won’t go into details, but there have been some well documented cases about this, most of it has to do with seeing the past or future, infact it would explain why people see things before they happen or think they have seen ghosts, spooky eh?
As for time travel itself, I think if you want to travel then cyro-genics is the way to go, providing they ever get it right and you don’t end up like mush.
Hey! It’s a one-way trip with out the jet-lag. Another possiblity is to send a radio message back through time. Fact, they are already working on this. Just a bit of trivia, Marty

April 20, 2003 at 3:48 pm #1196
Avatar of Brian of Paco
Brian of Paco

bah, time to start my own branch of theoretical physics, stupid einstein

April 20, 2003 at 4:56 pm #1201
Avatar of Drunken Farmer Ben
Drunken Farmer Ben

“Brian of Paco” wrote: bah, time to start my own branch of theoretical physics, stupid einstein

Eep, time to start my physics project :o Reading all this reminded me I need to get started on it. (To bad I couldn’t make a time machine, and we could put all this to rest 8) )

April 21, 2003 at 5:20 am #1250
Avatar of Brickbuilder
Brickbuilder

Drunken Farmer Ben wrote:
So, why not steal our lego collections from ourselves, and have twice the Legos! And when we steal them from ourselves in the future, we will have the set we stole from ourselves in the past.

Ah, but this will cause a feedback loop which will destroy the fabric of time + space, thus:
When you steal your own Lego, you will then later have twice the amount, granted. But then, when you come to the future to steal it you will steal that double amount, and then end up with 4 times the Lego… but then you’d have stolen that amount, + thus actually have EIGHT times the Lego! And so on until the entire universe is solidly filled with LEGO and all other matter is extinguished!

BUT!
you would eventually have to stop,because (judging by the fact that your time travel machine isnt the size of the universe) you would run out of room to put all the lego you took from the future.

also another theory on that:
That wouldent happen.You would take that lego,so when you got to the time that you took the lego,your lego would be taken.Then taken again.and again and so on………….
so,you’d just have no lego at all when you take it!!!

April 21, 2003 at 7:13 am #1251
Avatar of Drunken Farmer Ben
Drunken Farmer Ben

“Brickbuilder” wrote:

Drunken Farmer Ben wrote:
So, why not steal our lego collections from ourselves, and have twice the Legos! And when we steal them from ourselves in the future, we will have the set we stole from ourselves in the past.

Ah, but this will cause a feedback loop which will destroy the fabric of time + space, thus:
When you steal your own Lego, you will then later have twice the amount, granted. But then, when you come to the future to steal it you will steal that double amount, and then end up with 4 times the Lego… but then you’d have stolen that amount, + thus actually have EIGHT times the Lego! And so on until the entire universe is solidly filled with LEGO and all other matter is extinguished!

BUT!
you would eventually have to stop,because (judging by the fact that your time travel machine isnt the size of the universe) you would run out of room to put all the lego you took from the future.

also another theory on that:
That wouldent happen.You would take that lego,so when you got to the time that you took the lego,your lego would be taken.Then taken again.and again and so on………….
so,you’d just have no lego at all when you take it!!!

That, is why you only take one set! That way, nothing can happen. (Geez, I just thought about it, and it confused me. I just got home late and Im going to bed, and I have to goto work tommorow :? )

April 21, 2003 at 7:16 pm #1270
Avatar of LowweeK
LowweeK

1 month ago in the train Paris-Caen where I’ve met a lovely girl, had a discussion, but not had the occasion to go further… :x
Freud called that a “acte manqué” :P
After Einstein, Freud ! Wow, what a conceptual topic… :lol:

April 23, 2003 at 3:07 am #1352
Avatar of X
X

I would go back in time to when the first bank opened and start a savings account(5% intrest :o )…..then go to the year 999999999……..use the money that has been compounded for a few mellinia…….AND BUY A STAR CRUISER…..A GUNDAM and a SPACE FIGHTER…….AND A PLANET………POSSIBLY the moon…..and then i would take all of that back to this time and era……AND BECOME FILTHY RICH…(and hire scientists who could build a time machine that can go 1,000,000,000 years +/- ……..and sell that to someone…….get them rich……create a company better than microslave……AND LIVE FOR A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG TIME………..(nothin major …maybe a few melliniums….)…

XERO OUT*static* :evil

April 23, 2003 at 3:35 am #1353
Avatar of Ferder
Ferder

There is a cool part in an adventure computer game I played (escape from monkey island) where you have to navigate in the ‘Mysts o’ time marsh’. Basicly in every different place you go in the marsh the time changes. In one scene you see yourself on the other side of a fence(actually the RPG person called Guybrush Threewood: the game is a comedy) and you help yourself by giving yourself a bunch of stuff that will help open the gate. Later you find yourself on the other side of the game with your ‘old’ self in the place where you once had been. You then have to give yourself what he you need to open the gate. If you say the wrong thing or give yourself something out of order the you’ve broken the fabric of time and you have to start all over again.
I hope somebody was able to follow that :D

April 23, 2003 at 3:49 am #1355
Avatar of Drunken Farmer Ben
Drunken Farmer Ben

-”Okay, wait. If you guys are really us, what number are we thinking of?”

-”69, dudes!”

-”Woah”

April 23, 2003 at 5:51 am #1356
Avatar of Buxton
Buxton

“Marty” wrote: Another possiblity is to send a radio message back through time. Fact, they are already working on this.

If it was ever going to work, surely we would already know about it.

Unless there’s a government cover-up

April 23, 2003 at 7:14 am #1360
Avatar of Cometgreen
Cometgreen

LOL. Good point Buxton. ;)

Cometgreen

April 23, 2003 at 11:12 am #1361
Avatar of NewLegoCinema
NewLegoCinema

Wait a second..how could you go backward in time with something bigger than your time machine? :o

If you try to place it on something like a cog,it’ll snap between the two.Then the Machine can’t go forward anymore.It’ll malfunction untill the counter reaches 999,999,999.All the digits will start going forward or backward,or a combination.If the time sheild fails to get to it’s regular position,the machine will explode.That means anything in the blast radius will be warped to that time.
OR..
The thing stuck between the cogs will be pushed out.But if this happens,the counter may be off a couple of years.If the machine says it this year but the counter says it 999,999,999 ,they will keep “fighting” until somethin goes BOOM.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.