New YellowHead Studios film! il est midi

HomeForumsBrickfilming ForumsPost and Review FilmsNew YellowHead Studios film! il est midi

This topic has 1 voice, contains 33 replies, and was last updated by Avatar of mrgraff mrgraff 4056 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
June 17, 2003 at 2:12 am #5551
Avatar of Kyle
Kyle

:) wow that was neat! I loved the mouth thing in the beginning and the animation overall was excellent!

June 17, 2003 at 9:25 am #5582
Avatar of WhiteDragon
WhiteDragon

very nicely done! I liked the mouse model and the way you introduced it. By the way, what did you use to time the mouth movement with the music?

June 17, 2003 at 12:26 pm #5588
Avatar of Stefan
Stefan

Hi! Thank you all for your nice words! I have some thoughts in reply to your thoughts.

Contains SPOILERS!

* liking the song

“thedarksideoflego” wrote: i would of given it the ten if i woulda like the song better

“shootin bricks” wrote: What a pretty little song!

“LoganArts Co” wrote: Also, I didn’t really like the song, it seemed to be missing something.

This is obviously a matter of taste. The song is not quite in line with the artists’ previous work (though I haven’t checked out her current record yet), you may want to check out “Road Rage” by Catatonia to better appreciate the voice.

It’s not as if I had any choice: there was this song, and a competition to make an animation for it.

* knowing the lyrics

“shootin bricks” wrote: I wish I’d read the lyrics first- I was really lost the first 3 times I watched it.

“LoganArts Co” wrote: I don’t speak very much French so it took me a while to get the jist of the song. But, if you enter this one I think it would do well, it’s just that since it is in French it takes a while after the film is over to realize what is happening.

“legotronn” wrote: geez, i liked it a lot and I don’t speak french.

“The Janitor” wrote: I liked the fact that it took me a couple of viewings to really get what was happening. It made it more interesting for me, and I didn’t mind at all watching it several times since it looked so nice.

This is my biggest concern for sending it to Brickfest. At the very least, it will have to be subtitled. Most of you needed several watchings to appreciate it. At Brickfest, it will be gone before the people have realised it started.

* Scary

“theonewiththesharks” wrote: kind of a scary film-noir.

“shootin bricks” wrote: I can’t shake the impression that this giant mouse is terrorizing those poor women…

“unfoldingmetal” wrote: But now i’m scared! What type of cooked up mind you running there Wanderer2?!

“legogod” wrote: The revealing of the mouse throughout the short is akin to showing pieces of a monster through a horror movie.

The claustrophobia is top notch

“LoganArts Co” wrote: Geese, that mouse was freaky!

These comments surprised me the most. Not for a moment had I considered this film to be scary. I think it may have to do with the perception of scale that you have. You know the mouse is larger than the women because you know the size of a brick. I don’t know how to amend this, besides resorting to special effects to have woman and mouse on screen at the same time. For which I simply didn’t have the time.

I think the lighting is another issue here. Lighting was not easy in this case, mostly because of the larger scale. Too soon it happened that some parts were overexposed while others were just right. This aspect necessitated the slightly dark look of it all.

* Other comments

“legogod” wrote: It might have been nice to make the mouse look smaller by making something that can be scaled-a book, roll of toilet paper, eye glasses. The hanky on the wall threw the sense of scale off (and the space that had been so claustrophobic opens up within a wall-which is ironic).

Jared, I don’t quite understand this comment of yours. Could you explain what you mean?

“legogod” wrote: and this film only left me with a few questions:

1. Did the lady get up because she was afraid the others might see her listening to the mouse?
2.Are the ladies that enter the ladies of Paris?
3.Are the garments the ladies wore sewn by the mouse?

1. I leave that to your imagination.
2. Yes.
3. Technically not: they’re drawn on paper, cut out by my mom, and glued together by me. In the film: it’s your call.

“Brian of Gep” wrote: One more comment… The mouse looks too mechanical.
You know, it’s movement is only up down, or side to side.
I know that this is due to its construction,
and that I’m being overly critical,
but that shows how hard I had to think to give you some constructive criticism.
A solution would be to show more angles less times,
and to not utilize his complete movement abilities.
(i.e. when he is opening and closing his mouth, he goes all the way open, all the way shut, and it is the same distance every time. It looks unnatural. Try going more or less each time you animate something like that… Be sporadic! Random effects=realism as long as it isn’t overdone).

I had precious little time to spend on this. In total, construction, pre-production, filming and post-production until the deadline took me about 15 hours. After that, more time was spent on compiling other versions and behind-the-scenes stuff (not all of it is online yet).

Lego is not like clay. At the scale I chose, it’s not possible to have the broad range of movement a real (human) mouth can exhibit. That’s why I added the tongue: to have something more interesting than a mouth opening and shutting.

It was hard enough to keep the balance of the head (in fact, you can see the counterweight I used to hold it in position in one shot). I don’t think much more is possible with the model I had built. I might have to resort to this type of lego-animation again some day, so better designs are more than welcome to me!

“TheWhiteDragonLBP” wrote: By the way, what did you use to time the mouth movement with the music?

Magpie. Note that it doesn’t like XP. Copying to the clipboard doesn’t work. It’s probably stored in some obscure clipboard that one application does recognise, while the other doesn’t.

Yours,

Stefan (who really likes ice cream).

Keep the comments coming!

June 17, 2003 at 6:56 pm #5631
Avatar of Motfilms
Motfilms

When I heard there was a new YellowHead film, I was like this: :D It was a nice little movie. The animation was smooth, and the mouse was nicely constructed. Like some of the others, I interpreted the size of the mouse wrong, because I thought it was a giant. :) Also I didn’t figure out that that thing at seconds 4-6 was a clock until I had read another review. Oh well :P Still a great movie. But I wanted it to be longer :wink

June 17, 2003 at 7:15 pm #5632
Avatar of Ferder
Ferder

nicely done film. great filming and animation. The mouse was cool though it seemed like a windup toy or somthing. I didn’t have a clue what was going on. can sombody please post the translated lyrics?

June 17, 2003 at 7:26 pm #5635
Avatar of WhiteDragon
WhiteDragon

I didn’t have a clue what was going on. can sombody please post the translated lyrics?

Look at the first post again

June 18, 2003 at 5:44 am #5691
Avatar of RevMen
RevMen

Stefan! Good stuff!

I never had a problem with understanding the mouse’s size, though I agree that putting something in the same frame with the mouse like a book or even a spool of thread would have further helped to establish that it was a regular mouse-sized mouse.

I was very impressed with the tongue. I think that’s the first tongue I’ve seen used and it was done very well. How did you animate it? Being down inside the mouth like that, it must have been a real pain to get at! Or maybe you had a lever out the back. I don’t know, but great job.

I really liked the smooth, soft motions of the mouse and the ladies. It complimented the mood of the song very nicely. It did take me about 4 watches before I figured out what the clock was. For some reason I just couldn’t see the roman numerals and I kept thinking, “what are these weird levers? Are they some sort of sewing device they have in Europe that I’m unfamiliar with?” But once I figured it out I felt kind of dumb.

Good job, I can’t wait to see how it fairs in that competition.

June 18, 2003 at 11:40 am #5705
Avatar of minifigstudios
minifigstudios

I hadn’t thought to say something after watching the film the first time, but after a couple of watching and after reading the text, I started to like it.
So what I have to say is that I thought it was good. You had some nice angles showing the mouse, the animation was smooth and the timing was impressive. To get the things about the watch and that the mouse was inside the hole was a bit hard when you don’t know the language. If you had made it clearer that it was a watch (maybe used a white background and filmed it more from above) it would have helped. I don’t know how you could have shown that the mouse was inside the whole, but a solution on that would have made it better.

I’m starting to like the music too :)

June 18, 2003 at 11:57 am #5707
Avatar of hali
hali

Wow!

Great work stefan.

The first thing I did before watching this film (in fact, during the download) was to read the lyric translation, I’m glad I did because it certainly helped to explain the use of images (and to reinforce that almost every french traditional song I’ve known loses ‘something’ in the translation and ends up sounding wacky…)

anyway…

I too loved the way you slowly revealed the mouse, you selected your shots and planned the progression from shot to shot extremely well.

I was very impressed with all aspects of animation of the mouse. Mostly because of the size. It isn’t like a little mini-fig that had a nice amount of friction at the joints so that arms hold up etc, it is a BIG model. There were a number of moving elements and they had to move independently, without other bits being bumped.

I thought the mouth and tongue construction, as well as the timing of the tongue movement at the syllable level, was just amazing. Well done, stefan.

I am also of the ‘the scale looked ok to me’ opinion, but maybe that was linked directly to having read the translation first and kind of expecting that type of interpretation. Also there is a shot of the mousehole early on, showing it to be quite large (compared to the mouse) so it worked quite well to foreshadow the woman looking through the mousehole at the end.

I know I’m jumping all over the place here… sorry, no order just rambling…

I have to mention how much I like the use of the shadow of the mouse on the wall, while we were viewing its tail. Well done to get this without any discrepancies.

Which is a good time to mention lighting. Darker inside the hole, lighter outside, but ALWAYS consistent. No flickering that I noticed, and if there was then I was so wrapped up in what was happening onscreen that it was hidden.

If I were to pick at anything it would be that the mouse (position of ears, overalls, etc) reminded me too much of mickey mouse. And even if it wasn’t intentional, the echoes of contemporary culture ring loudly with ‘that mouse’.

Another thing, I don’t really like the use of the non-brick dresses, but once again, that is a personal opinion (and comes as a kind of a shock after all of the bricks).

All in all, an excellent short. It has been too long without an animation from wandrer.

Oh and before I forget, I’m glad I’m not the only person who couldn’t work out what the clock hands were! Seriously, I had no idea… and had to go back and read the translation again and re-watch.

Funny thing is, now that I’ve ‘seen it’ (like one of those magic-eye random dot stereograms) it looks great and I can’t believe I couldn’t work it out. In fact, the animation of the ‘click’ of the hand is fantastic! The vibration after the click really gives the impression that there is an underlying mechanical drive behind it.

Well done, Stefan!!!

Hali

June 19, 2003 at 11:30 am #5861
Avatar of Stefan
Stefan

Just found out it didn’t win :(

Apparently, the judges (whoever they may be) preferred a 2-fps cutout animation over a Lego video.

http://www.cerysonline.info/
The link to the winning song

Stefan.

June 19, 2003 at 11:37 am #5862
Avatar of T
T

They let a extreemly ugly and horrible made movie win.

The judges where probably drunk :P

June 19, 2003 at 1:22 pm #5867
Avatar of Logan
Logan

WHAT WAS THAT???!
(SCREAMS AND THROWS SHOE AGAINST THE WALL)
How could the judges pick that, that, thing?
Again, I tell you your movie is great, it made that STINKING PILE OF HOG FAT look like a, well, STINKING PILE OF HOG FAT!
I think you should enter your movie in another contest where there are no (easily bribed) judges. Because I think you could win at another contest. Your movie was a bit confusing to watch but that other movie was, well, A STINKING PILE OF HOG FAT! It might have been a first film though, and I congratulate the winner even though it looks like the judges were BRIBED!¸

Sorry, I just wanted to vent my anger.

June 19, 2003 at 10:55 pm #5918
Avatar of kowarama skip
kowarama skip

I loved the movie, fantastic cinematography!

What was that? Paper cutout animation! That was horrible it was the mouse from the childrens book “If you Give a Mouse a Cookie…”

Too bad you didn’t win, you should’ve!

June 19, 2003 at 11:03 pm #5920
Avatar of Brian of Gep
Brian of Gep

That’s absolutely terrible.

They must not have even watched yours.

Oh, and RevMen, you say it would be hard to reach in there to animate the mouse… Try using dental tools. You can pick them up at a thrift shop or something. If you’re interested, trying contacting Russ (If you can’t find a way to contact him, PM me and I’ll give you his e-mail address or AIM name).

June 20, 2003 at 12:15 am #5939
Avatar of legotronn
legotronn

WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS THAT! IT WAS STINKIER THAN THE STINKIEST! :shock: THOSE DUMB JUDGES! YOUR MOVIE WAS 1,000,000 TIMES BETTER THAN THAT! :shock:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.