THAC Judging

This topic has 1 voice, contains 154 replies, and was last updated by Avatar of David West David West 3362 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 155 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
August 30, 2005 at 2:38 am #127355
Avatar of protowrxs
protowrxs

“Rainsford” wrote: Proto is a cheater.

:lol: Thanks Rainsford… :lol:

Seriously, I encourage David to stand by the decisions he has already made. Making wishy-washy changes halfway through is never really a good idea.

I agree…

-Stephen

August 30, 2005 at 2:43 am #127356
Avatar of Watson
Watson

Contrary to Brianfast’s careless and callous remark, David has done an excellent job of running this contest, and it shows in the amount of support and success it has achieved.

I would also like to point out that David is NOT being heartless or overly strict with his decision. He really struggled with the decision to disqualify the entries that didn’t conform to the rules. In the end, though he would’ve liked to have allowed them, he decided it best not to, in order prevent there from being any complaints in the event that one of these entries might win.

If an entry that did not meet the clearly defined specifications were to win the contest, what would other entrants who had put significant effort into keeping with contest requirements think?

August 30, 2005 at 3:35 am #127362
Avatar of Dan
Dan

“brianfast” wrote: David West really is too stict with this. one frame where its not there JESUS.

That was the rule, it was there before any of us started animating.

All you had to do was not move the camera. :P

Also the 22 films will not produce a fair vote because its too many to remember everything.

:roll take notes, score the films for each category, add up your scores and rank the films. It’s not really rocket science.

I think this is the last contest that DW should run because this contest really wasn’t run too well. I mean how could someone cheat like that.

I disagree, I think it’s one of the best ideas and the most organized non-official contest that I have seen since I have been a member.

There has been 0 problems with the contest. If someone doesnt like the rules then they dont have to enter, if you think its too hard to vote, then dont vote.

The point it to have fun. Not only did I have fun animating my stupid ideas that are only funny to me, I had a blast watching all the films. I’ll be watching them a couple more times to vote.

We get maybe 1-3 good films a week to watch, much less 20+ films in one day! Thats awesome. :D

EDIT: there is actually another film that should have been disqualified and wasnt so I can confirm the rules are not that strict.

August 30, 2005 at 3:44 am #127365
Avatar of protowrxs
protowrxs

“Dan” wrote: I disagree, I think it’s one of the best ideas and the most organized non-official contest that I have seen since I have been a member.

Actually it was a WONDERFUL IDEA ;) and it was a lot of fun.
(Ok, it was NOS that had the original deadline idea but hey…)

A hearty THANKS needs to go to David West for taking this on. Any contest management has to be a nightmare with all the differing opinions, questions, etc.

Thanks David!

-Stephen

August 30, 2005 at 4:44 am #127370
Avatar of David West
David West

The voting guidelines have been updated to include a date when all ballots must be turned in, and it now tells entrants NOT to vote for their own film.

I’m not being strict, I’m following the rules. It really is a shame that so many films were disqualified, but what should I do? Let in some, but not others? Let them all in? Either way, letting disqualified entries back in is just opening a can of worms. What if one of the disqualified films won? I guarantee you someone would come to me whining. There were 8 disqualified entries in all. Here is a list of them, and the reason why:

Super Cameraman – Wrong mod element
Skudmunky – Late entry
Protowrx -Mod element blocked from view at times
Strange Little People – WMV file
CJ Studios – WMV file
Julian Chelo – Mod element blocked from view at times
3lb4rt0 – Too short, 30 seconds of animation

Obviously, protowrx didn’t cheat, and neither did Julian Chelo. But if I let them in for breaking an extremely clear rule, then shouldn’t I let the people who submitted the wrong format back in, because that rule wasn’t nearly as heavily emphasized as the mod element? Like I said, allowing some entries but not others only creates more problems.

Dan, I’m curious what entry that is. There are several films with very subtle mod elements, there is a good chance the mod element IS there, its just very well hidden.

August 30, 2005 at 5:02 am #127373
Avatar of saulgoode
saulgoode

Like the other posters on this page, I think David did an excellent job (thanks, kind sir). Even if it is felt that the spirit of the rules was not violated by the disqualified entries (this is how I feel about it) there are entries that were less than their potential (or missed the deadline) because the animators reshot scenes which would have otherwise disqualified them (or spent extra time converting to one of the accepted formats). There also may have been entries that did not make deadline because of these factors.

None of the disqualifications were owing to a suspicion of “cheating”, and even the disqualified entrants should be commended and respected for their submissions; but it would be even less fair for DW to allow them.

I have to say, I am amazed at the overall quality of the submissions; there does not seem to be a bad one in the bunch. My own attempt fell severely short due to an overly complicated script, but I feel I shared enough of the experience to truly admire everyone’s efforts and creativity.

August 30, 2005 at 5:50 am #127376
Avatar of Tim
Tim

Super Cameraman – Wrong mod element
Skudmunky – Late entry
Protowrx -Mod element blocked from view at times
Strange Little People – WMV file
CJ Studios – WMV file
Julian Chelo – Mod element blocked from view at times
3lb4rt0 – Too short, 30 seconds of animation

You forgot me. Mines was a late entry, as well.

I am proud to have the mod element in every frame in my movie. Some are so subtle that its barely visible. There is one shot with cd cases in the background, which match if you see it slant and you see behind it there is an object going up (and it all matches from the camera view), its A VERY VERY faint “N” and takes some thinking, but I intended it to be like that.

If I didn’t have go to go sleep, I would have finished it by the 24 hour period… its a shame.

August 30, 2005 at 7:35 am #127385
Avatar of David West
David West

No, I didn’t forget yours, you never actually submitted it to me.

August 30, 2005 at 10:49 am #127395
Avatar of BertL
BertL

I totally disagree with brianfast. There was 1 problem with the contest, and it’s not even a real problem: The contest started half an hour later. If you think David should never organize contests anymore because of that, I think you’re just a whiner.

David made this contest a very smooth-running one. If you think he shouldn’t organize anymore because he disqualified films that didn’t follow the rules, I think that’s [insert poop here, in caps please].

David, this contest was done in an excellent way. In fact, I encourage you to organize next year’s THAC.

August 30, 2005 at 11:07 am #127398
Avatar of Anonymous
Anonymous

August 30, 2005 at 4:53 pm #127442
Avatar of RevMen
RevMen

I just got back from California last night, but I haven’t watched any of the films. I’m looking forward to doing that today.

I must say that I think it is unfair to rank 22 different films in 4 separate categories. I know that I can’t possibly do it fairly, as it’s just too many films to keep track of. I also think it’s too detailed of judging for a bunch of 40 second films. And I also think it’s discouraging to judges (like me) because it’s just a lot of work.

However, I am overjoyed at the number of attempts people made and the effort David has put into bringing this contest together. I can’t wait to watch all of the films, which I will be doing… now.

August 30, 2005 at 5:14 pm #127447
Avatar of Nosniborus
Nosniborus

This contest is very very cool, maybe it can become an annual event or something.

-Nos

August 30, 2005 at 5:48 pm #127453
Avatar of brianfast
brianfast

“Rainsford” wrote: Proto is a cheater.

Seriously, I encourage David to stand by the decisions he has already made. Making wishy-washy changes halfway through is never really a good idea.

How did he cheat? It was on the set it just wasn’t visible.

August 30, 2005 at 5:50 pm #127455
Avatar of Lechnology
Lechnology

Sarcasm, brianfast, sarcasm. Rainsford was being sarcastic with that first remark.

August 30, 2005 at 6:22 pm #127461
Avatar of David West
David West

I see your point Rev, it IS a big commitment. Do you think it would be better if the judging were narrowed down to, say, 10 films?

“Nosniborus” wrote: This contest is very very cool, maybe it can become an annual event or something.

I’d thought that doing a THAC every year or so is a good idea, so I’ll probably try to organize one next year as well :) .

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 155 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.