THAC2 Voting

This topic contains 72 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of MindGame MindGame 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #218929
    Profile photo of saulgoode
    saulgoode
    Member

    “Dragoon” wrote: There were similar annoyances over disqualifications last year, and like then I have to support following what’s written in the rules. They may seem too strict, and I know how disappointed you are to be disqualified, but one diversion from the rules will lead to others and would not be fair to the other disqualified directors.

    I do not support this philosophy. “Fairness” should incorporate the concept of “reasonableness” and a submission’s disqualification should take into consideration the intent of the rules.

    The expressed intent of the “mod element” was to address the possibility of entrants including previously shot scenes in their submission, not to validate the animators’ ability to foresee the distortion of their element due to compression or the momentary absence of it during a transition.

    The expressed intent of the 3MB/min filesize limit was to supposedly facilitate the judging process, not to test the abilities of the animator in using compression software.

    In these cases, being “fair” should take a back seat to being “reasonable”. The current list of disqualified animators expended a great deal effort in participating in this contest and I suspect they (and many others) will be reluctant to take part in future THAC’s if their efforts are to be nullified by an unreasonable rigidity of the contest’s administrators.

    #218961
    Profile photo of Dragoon
    Dragoon
    Member

    You make good points as always, saulgoode, and I understand them fully although I think there are sound enough reasons behind the rules (a rule saying that mod elements should be there all the time unless you forget to make sure its there is a bit awkward). The only thing I will take issue with is that your complaints are being registered during the judging. There were almost identical mishaps last year; did you make this same complaints then? Perhaps you did, but I would like to see this matter discussed when the contest’s rules are being prepared, not when the contest’s rules are being challenged and it is a potential disruption to judging. WHEN the judging is over, I would encourage discussion of the compression rule, and the possibility of appeals or at least contact between David and entrants before finalising their disqualification.

    Unless you would like to stop the judging altogether in order to address the issues, in which case I respect you in your quest but don’t really see it happening.

    #219088
    Profile photo of saulgoode
    saulgoode
    Member

    “Dragoon” wrote: …The only thing I will take issue with is that your complaints are being registered during the judging.

    My expression of criticism of the “fairness” of the judging while it is taking place is no more an issue than your expression of support for it.

    Nonetheless, now that David West has made himself available for hearing appeals, I shall direct mine appropriately.

    #219089
    Profile photo of brianfast
    brianfast
    Member

    “saulgoode” wrote: [quote=”Dragoon”]There were similar annoyances over disqualifications last year, and like then I have to support following what’s written in the rules. They may seem too strict, and I know how disappointed you are to be disqualified, but one diversion from the rules will lead to others and would not be fair to the other disqualified directors.

    I do not support this philosophy. “Fairness” should incorporate the concept of “reasonableness” and a submission’s disqualification should take into consideration the intent of the rules.

    The expressed intent of the “mod element” was to address the possibility of entrants including previously shot scenes in their submission, not to validate the animators’ ability to foresee the distortion of their element due to compression or the momentary absence of it during a transition.

    The expressed intent of the 3MB/min filesize limit was to supposedly facilitate the judging process, not to test the abilities of the animator in using compression software.

    In these cases, being “fair” should take a back seat to being “reasonable”. The current list of disqualified animators expended a great deal effort in participating in this contest and I suspect they (and many others) will be reluctant to take part in future THAC’s if their efforts are to be nullified by an unreasonable rigidity of the contest’s administrators.[/quote]
    Yeah, having a mod element disappear for 1 second and having it to 5 megs per minute are horrible reasons to get DQed. But this is David West’s contest, not ours.

    #219094
    Profile photo of Dragoon
    Dragoon
    Member

    “saulgoode” wrote: My expression of criticism of the “fairness” of the judging while it is taking place is no more an issue than your expression of support for it.

    I didn’t think appeals were being considered, since judging has already started. My mistake.

    #219417
    Profile photo of David West
    David West
    Member

    My reasoning for posting that anyone who believed they had been unfairly disqualified could talk to me later was more to let people know that I would be gone than to consider appeals. I knew that, as last year, people owuld be dissapointed that their film was disqualified, and would probably want to talk to me about it. It was poor wording on my part, and I apologize for the any controversy it has caused. The same process was used last year, and there didn’t seem to be any problems with it.

    Ticket, the high quality version of the film won’t work, and the rules state that the mod element must be discernible as the mod element. If someone was to watch ONLY that scene of the film, they should be able to pick out the E. As it is, they cannot. Only someone who knows that his shirt says “Security” will know that the mod is there, even if they cannot see it.

    If there is to be a THAC3, perhaps the rules should be re-examined. Maybe a thread discussing this is in order.

    #219420
    Profile photo of MindGame
    MindGame
    Member

    For some reason, your email doesn’t seem to be working. I’ve sent you my ballot twice, and I get a “Failed delivery” message. If you don’t mind, can I PM you my ballot?

    -MindGame

    #219587
    Profile photo of Night Owl
    Night Owl
    Member

    Has the time been decided yet? I have a quick decision to make regarding other plans.

    #220834
    Profile photo of David West
    David West
    Member

    I forgot to mention, the time for the chat is now in the first post of this thread.

    #221220
    Profile photo of Shale
    Shale
    Member

    Entrants ballot email sent.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.