WINTER '08 – MindGame for Minister of Sound

HomeForumsGovernmental ForumsCampaignsWINTER '08 – MindGame for Minister of Sound

This topic has 1 voice, contains 8 replies, and was last updated by Avatar of MindGame MindGame 2436 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
December 15, 2007 at 11:13 pm #353481
Avatar of MindGame
MindGame

Hello, good peoples of Brickfilms.com. As you are all aware, I am re-running for my position as your Minister of Sound.

My credentials for this job have not changed, I still feel I am more than capable of handling this position. I am a BAMPA-nominated sound designer and runner of my own personal sound library which has proven to be popular and useful amongst many other filmers, both on this site and off alike.

I am an active member of this community, so it’s unlikely that anyone would have to worry about disappearances from me as has been seen by a few of our current ministers. I will be around and will be prompt in seeing to the needs this job offers.

The reason that I am re-running for my spot falls into what I hope to achieve this term. My last term has been somewhat lackluster, only really doing one thing in the entire 6 months. I originally thought it was because of a general lack of enthusiasm to add to the sound library by the members, but now I think differently. I received a few PMs and notifications in chat room from many people who are interested in supplying sounds for review, but seem to improperly follow the rules for submitting sounds to the queue. The stickied thread in the Music, Sound, and Voice Acting forums seems to be commonly overlooked, but even still, I feel that the process of getting a sound into the library is somewhat confusing. My main reason for running is that I want to improve it, to make it easier for people to submit sounds for consideration to me. I will try to work with Schlaeps, Stefan, and other code monkeys to see if an easier method for sound submissions can be created.

My thanks to you for taking the time to read my campaign, and I hope I’ve given you reason to consider me again come election day.

-MindGame

December 15, 2007 at 11:15 pm #353484
Avatar of LegosJedi
LegosJedi

Zach, you have my vote! Always have, and always will! I feel that a way for better submission would be a form on the sounds page where people could upload a sound. It shouldn’t be too hard to do, but would require some PHP coding. Anyway, good luck!

– LegosJedi — Building Better Resources Today, for Better Resources Tomorrow.
Candidate for Minister of Filming Resources

December 15, 2007 at 11:28 pm #353490
Avatar of chosen1
chosen1

With so little done last term, what can expect to see this term? And how do we know you will achieve it this time?

Also, is there any reason why you were unable to progress last term?

Chosen1 also tried to get a easier form of submission implemented but it was rejected, why do you think you can do better?

Also, why do you think you are so well cut out for this job?

This is not an attack my friend, just some questions.

December 16, 2007 at 12:15 am #353514
Avatar of MindGame
MindGame

“chosen1″ wrote: With so little done last term, what can expect to see this term? And how do we know you will achieve it this time?

“I” wrote: My main reason for running is that I want to improve it, to make it easier for people to submit sounds for consideration to me. I will try to work with Schlaeps, Stefan, and other code monkeys to see if an easier method for sound submissions can be created.

During my last campaign and term, I didn’t have any real plans or intended reforms for the library, I was just its curator. Now that I have an idea for what I want to see, I feel like I have set a goal for myself and given myself inspiration to carry it out. Plus, as LegosJedi mentioned, something as simple as having an upload form on the Sound Library page can be done to make life easier, and at what would appear to be no real sacrifice.

“chosen1″ wrote: Also, is there any reason why you were unable to progress last term?

“I” wrote: I originally thought it was because of a general lack of enthusiasm to add to the sound library by the members, but now I think differently. I received a few PMs and notifications in chat room from many people who are interested in supplying sounds for review, but seem to improperly follow the rules for submitting sounds to the queue. The stickied thread in the Music, Sound, and Voice Acting forums seems to be commonly overlooked, but even still, I feel that the process of getting a sound into the library is somewhat confusing.

Mainly, I got very little activity as far as uploads went, and I think it was due in part to the upload process being somewhat confusing and members not reading the guidelines you set down.

“chosen1″ wrote: Chosen1 also tried to get a easier form of submission implemented but it was rejected, why do you think you can do better?

I guess is all comes down to negotiation and how complex a new submission form would be to code. If I can get enough people to back me to get a newer system implemented, I think we may be able to convince the code monkeys to help us out.

“chosen1″ wrote: Also, why do you think you are so well cut out for this job?

“I” wrote: I am a BAMPA-nominated sound designer and runner of my own personal sound library which has proven to be popular and useful amongst many other filmers, both on this site and off alike.

In short, I have experience working with sound design and it’s a field that interests me. I’ve heard my own sound effects be used in numerous other films, which shows to me that my own library is popular and of good enough quality for others to use sounds I and others have created. Plus, having experience as a review panelist, I can properly critique submitted sound effects and don’t fear rejecting sounds that I don’t feel are up to par.

-MindGame

December 16, 2007 at 3:10 am #353596
Avatar of Littlebrick
Littlebrick

Personally, I support Zach. I think he is a great sound designer, and is well suited for this job. And based on his work last term, this only makes me support him more.

Support Zach, for he is awesome.

December 16, 2007 at 11:08 am #353682
Avatar of Lechnology
Lechnology

Compared to the other candidates, I would support you. I just have a question: what is this plan of yours? Could you outline them? How do you plan to make it easier for contributors to add to the library? And also, how will you be able to determine that those sounds they are submitting aren’t actually ripped from other sites.

December 16, 2007 at 8:07 pm #353795
Avatar of MindGame
MindGame

“Lechnology” wrote: I just have a question: what is this plan of yours? Could you outline them? How do you plan to make it easier for contributors to add to the library?

I think that something as easy as having an upload form in the sound page would be best. Something similar to the Film Submission form or a YouTube submission form, with areas for title, description, licensing, and an upload link for where they can upload their sounds into a queue for review by me. It would make life easier and eliminate several steps from the current method.

I also plan to discuss this with Schlaeps and the code monkeys and get their own input and ideas.

“Lechnology” wrote: And also, how will you be able to determine that those sounds they are submitting aren’t actually ripped from other sites.

That’s actually a rather good question, one I don’t have a definite answer to at the moment. To be perfectly honest, I don’t think that there is any way to really tell if a sound is ripped or not, though I don’t expect that to happen much. I guess it’s just a matter of the trust system that they will abide by the rules and submit their own sounds. However, should I discover that a sound is taken from another site without permission, or I receive a notice that one is, I will immediately discard the sound from the library entirely and inform higher authority (Schaleps, mods, Minister of Discussion, etc.).

-MindGame

December 25, 2007 at 5:35 pm #356407
Avatar of Treetah
Treetah

You attributed your lack of progress last term to a lack of enthusiasm from the members regarding submitting sounds. Any plans to help improve this? You’ve already mentioned that you would make it easier to submit sounds for inspection, but how would you get the community enthusiasm submitting/recording?

I think that it would be a good idea for the minister of sound to coordinate with the minister of information in order to help spread public awareness/enthusiasm.

Cheers,
Treetah

December 26, 2007 at 7:39 pm #356663
Avatar of MindGame
MindGame

“Treetah” wrote: You attributed your lack of progress last term to a lack of enthusiasm from the members regarding submitting sounds. Any plans to help improve this? You’ve already mentioned that you would make it easier to submit sounds for inspection, but how would you get the community enthusiasm submitting/recording?

I think that it would be a good idea for the minister of sound to coordinate with the minister of information in order to help spread public awareness/enthusiasm.

Hmm, good question. As of now, all I can really think of is convince people in chat or on the forums or something. I like your idea of communicating with the MoI, but I’d need to think of some sort of occasion or idea to put up on the front page (maybe even just a simple request).

However, I’ve talked and received PMs from other members requesting upload sounds, so I think traffic for the library may increase if an easier method of uploading were established. However, I can do my own personal campaigning for it elsewhere.

-MindGame

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘WINTER '08 – MindGame for Minister of Sound’ is closed to new replies.