FAR: Worthless

Home Forums Brickfilming Forums Review Films FAR: Worthless

This topic contains 8 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Corrat 11 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Leonardo812
    Participant

“Worthless”

An entry to the Brickfilms.com 2008 Competition: FAR

——————————————————————
    Director’s Comments
    [spoiler]
    It’s been about a year since I joined brickfilms.com and dove into the world of filmmmaking. I’ve learned a lot, and I’ve actually learned quite a bit since I completed this film about a month ago.

In many ways I consider this to be my first film as it is the first film I scripted, storyboarded, and animated in more than a week. There are many aspects of stoytelling through the medium of film that you can only learn through actually making a film.

There are very few digital effects in the film. In fact, there is only one effect besides the digital faces – that’s the gun which is punched out of Mr. Wesley’s hand by Anton. It was added in post production. All of the music was done by myself, as were many of the sound effects. I did purchase a few sound effects for the film, which I’d never done before.

I truly cannot wait to watch the other contest entries, and I’m sure there are some great ones. It was somewhat discouraging to start the film knowing I would be competing against brickfilmers who I at that time thought of as far above me. I learned quite a bit during the making of this film, and I absolutely cannot wait to hear what you all think of it. Criticism is the best way to improve, so I hope to improve as much from your reviews of the film as I did from actually creating it.

Thank you to everyone who helped out in making this film. Also, special tanks to Lackadaisical for allowing me to use his script. And special thanks to Atrglock for being generally awesome and encouraging.

[/spoiler]
    ——————————————————————

RMV Download – 12.7 MB (recommended)
    Quicktime Download – 11.1 MB (Blocky Compression)
    Youtube

——————————————————————

-Leonardo

The frozen brick
    Participant

Incredibly nice film!!!
    100% nice

Anonymous

Wow. For me, this is right up there with Grace.

The music was incredibly well done. It fit the movie really well, and it sounded great. The only problem that I had with it was that it played during scenes that I thought would’ve been better without music, or at least a different piece.

The animation was really good. You’ve come a long way as an animator, Leonardo. I might’ve noticed a few animation flaws while watching it, but for the most part, it was well done.

The story was interesting and well presented. The lighting really helped establish the mood of the film, and it worked quite nicely. But I had a hard time understanding the plot. It might just be me, though, because I can never really understand a long brickfilm on the first time through.

The voice acting was decent. There were a few lines that weren’t said very well, and one of the voices had static consistently. The voices did fit the characters, though, so it worked. The mouth movements were very subtle, which I felt added to the realism. In real life, you don’t think twice about seeing somebody’s mouth move, and I didn’t think twice about seeing a minifig’s mouth move in this film. It was done that well. That said, the mouth movements looked a little weird at some points in the film. And as for the gun effect you mentioned, if you hadn’t said anything about it, I would have thought it was real.

Overall, very nice film. I’ve been waiting for this for a while, and it did not disappoint. I’m saddened that you might stop brickfilming–this film proves you are certainly talented.

Leonardo812
    Participant

“badgerboy” wrote: I’ve been waiting for this for a while, and it did not disappoint. I’m saddened that you might stop brickfilming–this film proves you are certainly talented.

I hope this doesn’t disappoint you at all, but my next film is nothing like this. It’s funny, has lots of effects, and doesn’t have voice acting at all. Also, the plot should be much more clear.

-Leonardo

Anonymous

“Leonardo812” wrote: [quote=”badgerboy”] I’ve been waiting for this for a while, and it did not disappoint. I’m saddened that you might stop brickfilming–this film proves you are certainly talented.

I hope this doesn’t disappoint you at all, but my next film is nothing like this. It’s funny, has lots of effects, and doesn’t have voice acting at all. Also, the plot should be much more clear.

-Leonardo[/quote]
    No, it doesn’t disappoint me. I’m just disappointed you might stop brickfilming altogether.

Anonymous

This is a nice piece, you did a good job. I wasn’t watching the animation closely, but everything I did notice was excellent. There are several areas of the film that need improvement, though.

First, the general style of the film just didn’t click with me. There were so many cuts to the action, with scene changes occurring frequently. It was as if the film presented only the bare minimum of what needed to be said in order to convey a story line. Maybe this was the way you wanted it, but I would have preferred a more continuous plot (the downside to that is that it means more work and careful story-writing).

Second, the acting really wasn’t that great. That’s not your fault, and since we’re only brickfilmers I guess one can’t expect too much. Still, I’ve heard better acting from the folks around here. Also, while parts of the music were very good, other parts could have been much better.

[spoiler=Cough]I know I turned down your request to score the film, due to my busy schedule, so I won’t be too critical here! I would have enjoyed scoring the film if I had had the time (it’s not as though I would have done a perfect job either).[/spoiler]

Overall, I think the general idea of the film is good – it would just be a lot more interesting if there was more meat on the skeleton, if you know what I mean. Keep it up!

Nosniborus
    Participant

Leonardo812,

Congrats on finishing a cool film! I have compliments and critiques for you. 🙂

Critiques first (get ’em over with):
    [spoiler]
    “Here, in Russia? Yes. *grunt*” — pointless?
    “It’s empty.” — we can see that.
    Some of the dark scenes were too dark. Try using more light with blue gels.

When the black haired man wearing all black in the all black scene takes the diamond from Mr. Anton(?) who has differently styled black hair and is wearing all black I begin to get a little confused.

Jump cut to the “third man” blond.

Voices were EQ’d inconsistently in some cases (“Theo”).

No running footsteps at 3:46.

I would’ve opened the case right away, if I were them.

Freeze frame on Lyndon(?) and Anton(?) struggling over the diamond + glass breaking sound doesn’t equal a clear plot point.

I still don’t know if the diamond is actually worthless.[/spoiler]

Compliments:
    [spoiler]
    Opening 180° spin. Sweeeet. Motion blur too much? i dunno, I’d have to see it without to make a comparison.

Light in the elevator — looks awesome.

Bounce in the door — good touch.

The cinematography is definitely a cut above your standard brickfilm.

The music fit, as did much of the lighting.

The digital faces worked.

Most importantly, I was intrigued throughout. [/spoiler]

Overall, I’m impressed by your technical aspects, but I’m left unsatisfied by your story.

-Nos

Leonardo812
    Participant

Wow. Those last two reviews were incredibly helpful. 🙂

WC – I think the story would have worked if I hadn’t rushed so much, and instead lengthened the film by not doing so many short scenes – instead putting in more character development. Also, more opening shots might have helped.

Nosniborous – If you could see my setup for that opening shot you’d call me a cheater. 🙂

As I said in the thread at BiM, I wish that when I made this film I had known as much about Blender as I do now. I would definitely have shown the diamond shattering.

-Leonardo

Corrat
    Participant

Nice work! 😀
    The plot is a little hard to understand though. 😕
    Everything looked completely natural from the doors opening to the walking. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.