Slow Motion – What are your techniques?

Home Forums Fim Making Forums Production Slow Motion – What are your techniques?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Kyle 14 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Errol
    Participant

Allo all,

Just wanted to discuss with you guys one different techniques you use for slow motion.

I was always under the impression that it would be best to do a film at 24fps if you want to do slow motion.

But the process is very time consuming.

For flying objects, I like to use good ol’ frame by frame editing, but the thought of editing slow motion flying things at 24fps is too daunting for me to consider.

So do any of you have tips or tricks on making slow motion look more realistic, or is it just hunker down and do it. 🙂

I try bringing these topics up in chat, but no one ever wants to discuss these things. 🙂

Anonymous

Odd enough is that I thought about this too.

I thought about just using, like, 5 frames for one frame. This makes the framerate really low for the eye (3fps if you are filming at 15fps normal), but I’m not finished yet.

Add a big blur to it, so that the frames blur into each other, giving it a (I hope) nice effect… I’ll put a test clip looking like this up this day.

Anonymous

Double-take each frame to slow it down by half, or move the object a tiny amount. I know Window Movie Maker 2 has a slow down video effect.

Errol
    Participant

I think the problem with blur is that when you see slow motion in real video, it’s not blurred, it’s just real slow. 🙂

But I haven’t tried it, so I’d like to see your test clip!

Anonymous

Clicky!

I like it myself. Never mind the hand, though that was animated too.

Errol
    Participant

I did a trailer for a movie which I’m never going to get done.

Midway through there is a slow motion shot of the typical “from the top flip over objects” action scene.

That’s the type of slow motion I want to emulate…

Maybe I should stop my complaining and just do it… 🙂

Anonymous

Dude. Stop your complaining and do it. That was excellent, and so was that slow motion shot. Where did you get that slow-motion-sound we all want to have by the way?

protowrxs
    Participant

“Errol” wrote: I did a trailer for a movie which I’m never going to get done:

What?.. Sure you are!!… it just may take some time… sometime.

-Stephen

Errol
    Participant

“bertl” wrote: Dude. Stop your complaining and do it.

Ya, but that shot alone took me forever! I’m just trying to find easier ways, that’s all! 🙂

Where did you get that slow-motion-sound we all want to have by the way?

Custom made, I got a friend to write the music.

Uh, I think I know which sound you’re talking about, or is it a sfx sound?

And proto, I’ll get to it, eventually….I blame the kids, and the many guests we’ve had and thus all the lego went into the closet…

Uh oh
    Participant

“02lyons” wrote: Double-take each frame to slow it down by half, or move the object a tiny amount. I know Window Movie Maker 2 has a slow down video effect.

I find doing both works. But for flying….I haven’t even done a successful test with that. And bertl, that was a cool test.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.