The First Ever BAFA Awards *BALLOTS FOR TODAY*

Home Forums Community General Brickfilming The First Ever BAFA Awards *BALLOTS FOR TODAY*

This topic contains 151 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Smeagol 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 149 total)
  • Author

Film Brain
    Participant

Since the control of the BAMPAs has fallen out of control, I, with the approval of Dragoon, have taken it up myself to organise a new Brickfilms award ceremony. This award shall be named the BAFAs – or, in longer terms, the Brick Award for Film Arts.

So what can I tell you about the BAFAs? So glad you asked…

Who will judge the BAFAs?
    – Myself
    – The Review Panel
    – The Brickfilms Ministry
    – Dave (if possible)

What Are The Categories?
    Best Film
    Best Director
    Best Screenplay
    Best Set Design
    Best Visual Effects
    Best Animation
    Best Music
    Best Sound Design
    Best Cinematography
    Best Lead Voice Actor
    Best Ensemble Voice Cast

Why have you split ‘Best Visual Elements’?
    I felt it that it tended to crush two elements of Brickfilming together and seemed to bias itself towards special effects. The new set design category gives a better chance to films with great sets that aren’t filled with effects. It also could give recognition to amazing set work we see in THAC films as well.

Why two voice acting categories?
    As a voice actor myself, I know how important it is for a leading actor to carry a film. I also felt that having one category prevented smaller, supporting roles from recieving praise and a strong voice cast can raise the quality of a film incredibly.

How Will Nominations Work?
    For each category, each judge will select 5 films that s/he feels have excelled in that category. The films that are voted for most often become official nominees in the running for the biggest prize of them all – the BAFA.

If You Have Been Voted For, Can You Not Vote?
    I found this to be a ridiculous policy. Awards, by their very nature, select the best, so having to exclude the best brickfilmers from voicing their opinions just because they made a great film seems ludicrious. Therefore, I have a new policy: any judge, whether a film of theirs has been voted for or not, can vote so long as they don’t vote for their own.

What Will Happen In Case of A Tie-Breaker In Nominations?
    A selected judge, picked for their knowledge in that area, will select the film that goes through. For example, Best Sound Design will be selected by the Minister of Sound. Also, in a tie-breaker situation, if two films by one director are nominated, only one of these films can go through to be fair on other nominees and directors.

How Long Will Judging Take?
    I will give the judges 15 days to make their decisions. After that, the nominees are confirmed. The judges will then spend the next 15 days selecting the winner of that category.

When Will The Ceremony Take Place?
    In a month’s time. The date, however, has not been set and neither has the time. Yet.

What Films Are Eligible?
    Any film released on the forum between 1/1/2007 and 31/12/2007.

What is elligible for Best Music?
    Best Music is judged as a whole soundtrack, so it does not need to be score-based.

What do you people think?

Lord_Of_The_LEGO
    Participant

LET’S DO THIS THING! DO IT, DO IT NAOWGH!!!

I very much like. You clearly have thought this through.

NickMOC
    Participant

Very well organized, FB. I will try to make it to the ceremony when it happens.

Dave
    Participant

“Film Brain” wrote: Who will judge the BAFAs?
    – Myself
    – The Review Panel
    – Dave (if possible)

lol

Yes, I’ll judge, and help organize and stuff.

One thing: best music… is that just… any old soundtrack? Like licensed music? Is that allowed?

-Dave

Anonymous

“Film Brain” wrote: Who will judge the BAFAs?
    […]
    – The Review Panel
    […]

Do the Review Panel and Brickfilms Ministry agree with this? I mean, I myself wouldn’t mind to do some judging, but I’m not sure everyone would feel this way.

Film Brain
    Participant

Thank you already for the kind comments.

“Dave” wrote: One thing: best music… is that just… any old soundtrack? Like licensed music? Is that allowed?

Yes, any old soundtrack, even licensed music. Repent, for instance, is a good example for such a soundtrack and could have been nominated under these rules.

TwickABros
    Participant

Lame name.
    “Mom, mom, I won a bafa award!”
    I don’t know, Bampa sounded better. Anyway, this is great. Thanks for doing this.
    -Twick

Film Brain
    Participant

“BertL” wrote: [quote=”Film Brain”]Who will judge the BAFAs?
    […]
    – The Review Panel
    […]

Do the Review Panel and Brickfilms Ministry agree with this? I mean, I myself wouldn’t mind to do some judging, but I’m not sure everyone would feel this way.[/quote]
    Review Panel and Ministry members can abstain if they desire. I feel that, since they are the ones who know the most about brickfilms, they should be the ones who decide what can truly be called the best.

infurno
    Participant

Great news, I think this is something we need to keep. I am glad you want to organize it. I am looking forward to the nominations.

Smeagol
    Participant

I like most of this and I’m glad someone has taken up the commitment. However, I think if you want such the entire panel to participate it’d be nice to have a little discussion and streamlining first.

My main suggestions would be to replace the “Best supporting actor” category with “Best Ensemble Voice Acting.” My reason for this is that many brickfilms are quite short and as such do not necessarily have a lead and a few supporting characters; I think it’d be difficult to define in many cases which is which. However, if you had a individual actor category and an ensemble category I think you’d get a better distribution which would be more fair to shorter films.

I also feel that a “best director” category is not necessary because in the vast majority of brickfilms, the director writes, animated, produces, and directs, so this category would be almost exactly the same as “Best Film” in my eyes. Other than that I’m happy with your category choices.

I’m not sure about the judging system because if a director has multiple nominations in a category, he’s at a slight disadvantage in that he can only vote for other entries in a given category. This is infinitely better than shutting out anybody who’s made a film though.

Concerning the name, I feel BAFA is a lame name, to be honest. I do not have any better ideas at the moment though. Maybe Brickfilming Achievement Awards? (BAA)

-Smeagol

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.