The First Ever BAFA Awards *BALLOTS FOR TODAY*

Home Forums Community General Brickfilming The First Ever BAFA Awards *BALLOTS FOR TODAY*

This topic contains 151 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Smeagol 12 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 149 total)
  • Author

skull brick
    Participant

YES.

Film Brain
    Participant

“Smeagol” wrote: My main suggestions would be to replace the “Best supporting actor” category with “Best Ensemble Voice Acting.” My reason for this is that many brickfilms are quite short and as such do not necessarily have a lead and a few supporting characters; I think it’d be difficult to define in many cases which is which. However, if you had a individual actor category and an ensemble category I think you’d get a better distribution which would be more fair to shorter films.

That’s actually not a bad idea at all and I might make a revision to do so. I will consider this for a bit.

I also feel that a “best director” category is not necessary because in the vast majority of brickfilms, the director writes, animated, produces, and directs, so this category would be almost exactly the same as “Best Film” in my eyes. Other than that I’m happy with your category choices.

The only reason it is there is because it was a BAMPA category. However, having a strong animation or script does not mean you are a great director. A great director could outshine the material he works with. Best Film is more like an all-round great film, whereas Best Director may have a flaw in his screenplay, voice work or animation which he overcomes with his talent. Grace, for example, has a confusing screenplay but is fantastically directed.

I’m not sure about the judging system because if a director has multiple nominations in a category, he’s at a slight disadvantage in that he can only vote for other entries in a given category. This is infinitely better than shutting out anybody who’s made a film though.

The rule is simply to prevent directors voting for themselves, since I don’t think directors will be completely impartial to their own work.

Concerning the name, I feel BAFA is a lame name, to be honest. I do not have any better ideas at the moment though. Maybe Brickfilming Achievement Awards? (BAA)

Yeah, the name’s a weak spot, but it’s simple and memorable enough. BAA sounds like an award for sheep. 😉

prof1515
    Participant

“Film Brain” wrote: Who will judge the BAFAs?Who will judge the BAFAs?
    Myself
    – The Review Panel
    – The Brickfilms Ministry
    Dave (if possible)

(emphasis mine)

Review Panel and Ministry members can abstain if they desire.

Leading to the Film-Brain and (possibly) Dave Awards. No offense intended to either you or Dave but any legitimate award should have a system by which representation in voting is determined other than through any arbitrary personal decision if it is to carry weight. Otherwise, it has the potential to really just be a “my personal favorites list” with a convoluted system of choice rather than any recognition beyond that as I stated in this thread.

I agree with the middle two choices and would recommend a collection of voters be ascertained upon criteria set out by the site itself. Possible criteria might include:

– Present Brickfilms Ministers
    – Former Brickfilms Ministers
    – Former BAMPA winners
    – Former BAMPA nominees

The point I’m making is that the system should be outlined in such a manner as to be devoid of personal references and relying solely upon qualifying criteria for voting permission.

-J

Film Brain
    Participant

I will make sure that it does not come down to simply me and/or Dave. That would not fair, since the awards should be deemed by a number of respected peers. To have an award simply voted upon by two people who be staggeringly pointless.

Smeagol
    Participant

It could be argued that the criteria for judging should include BAFA organizers. I agree with the addition of ministers and BAMPA winners/nominees as eligible for judging, because these people should be be well-respected and since it’s unlikely you’d get 100% participation the group of judges to pool from should be fairly large.

prof1515
    Participant

“Film Brain” wrote: I will make sure that it does not come down to simply me and/or Dave. That would not fair, since the awards should be deemed by a number of respected peers. To have an award simply voted upon by two people who be staggeringly pointless.

You simply can’t guarantee that it will not. Even if you could, the process would still contain de facto members who do not necessarily fit any criteria shared by all able voters. As a friend of mine once told someone who tried to organize a political committee using that same method, “Who the f*** are you?” Granted, not very nice or subtle but he made his point since the person in question didn’t hold any office with duties in common with the other members of the committee and he had cited himself as a member solely on the basis of believing he should be. As a good rule of thumb regarding any sort of decision-making, membership should not be personalized in such a manner if it’s intended to convey any sense of fairness.

-J

prof1515
    Participant

“Smeagol” wrote: It could be argued that the criteria for judging should include BAFA organizers.

Thus to maintain fairness, organization should be institutionalized via Brickfilms so as to maintain the greatest representation of neutrality (itself impossible as bias will always exist in the minds of the members).

Film Brain
    Participant

I agree with Smeagol’s decision and I think that Best Ensemble Cast should be in place of Best Supporting Voice Actor, since 2007’s brickfilmers were shorter than average this year (mostly thanks to IDEA’s 6 minute time limit) and thus supporting performances would be less pronounced.

Dave
    Participant

I don’t want it to seem like I’m trying to take control, here with me being involved with the rating. I just wanted to get involved after being out of the picture for so long.

-Dave

Stevie Collins
    Participant

I am pleased with this, hmmm… I wonder does this mean we have a Minister of BAFA nominations.

-StevieCollins

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.